Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Dodge » Caravan » 1990 - Fuel Pump Power Source - Fuse, Relay

ALLDATAdiy - Beyond The Printed Manuall. Diagnose, Repair, and Research all within the same source!
ShopTalk - Automotive Questions and Answers

1990 Dodge Caravan:
Fuel Pump Power Source - Fuse, Relay

By
Alex Steele
Save or Share Information
Print Page
E-mail Page

seen in Truck Trend

Question:

Where can I find the fuel pump power source, fuse, relay, a circuit breaker or whatever on a 1990 Dodge Caravan 3.0 liter fuel-injected engine? Also, is it possible to get to the fuel pump, which is in the gas tank, through an access door in the floor, or do you have to drop the gas tank?

Answer:

The two main fuel pump power feeds involve the ASD (Auto Shut-down Relay) which disables the fuel pump, fuel injectors, ignition coil and Oxygen sensor after the loss of a signal from the distributer.

The direct power circuit for the pump travels through the relay from a white fusible link which is located under the hood on the left fender panel, along with the ASD relay. The other power feed for the ASD comes from fuse #13 in the fuse block.

There's a lot more involved in the operation and troubleshooting of these circuits. So please make sure your diagnosis is correct before replacing the fuel pump, and yes, you do have to remove the fuel tank.

www.realworldautomotive.com

Related Topics:  

Dodge | Fuel Pump | Relay/Fuse | Fuel Tank
or
Browse by:  
E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information

Need Help?

Get FREE Answers from our Technicians at the Dodge Caravan Forum.

Comments:

glenn cobb
26 Sep 2011, 19:08
1990 Dodge Grand Caravan-When fuel is added, (fill up) the gas gauge goes to full, after about 4 to 5 days the gauge goes to empty. It doesn't move again until I fuel up again.
Admin
01 Oct 2011, 10:26
Sounds very much like a bad fuel gauge sending unit in the gas tank. The float may be hanging up, and over time dropping down to the correct position.

However, the circuit(s) to the instrument cluster, and the gas gauge itself must first be "confirmed good" before officially condemning the sending unit.
allen longhenry
16 Nov 2011, 09:28
my neighbor has a 1990 Dodge Caravan v-6 put in a new battery (fully charged) we have no electrical power ANYWHERE! where should I start to look?
Admin
16 Nov 2011, 18:11
Hi Allen,

Check to be sure both positive and negative battery connections are tight and free of corrosion.

After that, there may be a high amperage main fuse (most likely in the underhood fuse box). Check to be sure it's good.

Often times folks will accidentally hook up jumper cables backwards -- this will blow the main fuse.

*Name:
*Email:
Notify me about new comments on this page
Hide my email
Subscribe to our weekly automotive newsletter
*Comment:

*Type characters in box below (click image to refresh)
CODE

Popular Links
Q&A by Make and Model
Q&A by Repair Category
Live Chat with a Pro!
Submit Questions
Find TSBs and Recalls
How Hybrids Work
Local Gas Price Map
Resources
ALLDATA diy Information
Warranty Direct
Parts Warehouse
New Car Price Quotes
ASE Certified Master Technician

Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Dodge » Caravan » 1990 - Fuel Pump Power Source - Fuse, Relay
Save or Share Automotive Information
Custom Search