Ford Expedition:

Car does not start -- Transfer Case Neutral Indicator Fault

You are not logged in.

#1 10/10/2018 12:18 PM

jirikuthan

Car does not start -- Transfer Case Neutral Indicator Fault

Folks,

My Ford expedition EL 2009 doesn't start and diagnostics shows P1707 Transfer Case Neutral Indicator Hard Fault Present.
https://www.troublecodes.net/p1codes/p1707/

My workshop has replaced a sensor in the transfer case yet the problem continues.

Voltage on starter relay's control cirtucit seems incorrect:  where the relay (pin #2) should receive ground, +1.5V appears instead.

Any idea?

Ford Expedition Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 10/11/2018 2:33 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Car does not start -- Transfer Case Neutral Indicator Fault

The use of a scan tool can be very useful by looking at the live data to see if the vehicle is actually in park or neutral.

In the battery junction box check the fuse # F54 5 amp and # F26 15 amp and # F13 30 amp.

Terminal 3 should be hot at all times and terminal 1 should be hot only when the key is truned to start.

In the Smart junction box fuse #F27 20 amp.

I hope these suggestions help. If you need more assistance then get back to me when you can.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#3 10/15/2018 11:57 AM

jirikuthan

Thank you for your guidance -- unfortunately the "common suspects" seem ok -- all the fuses are all right, and the car misbehaves only every other start (fuses would be cause of all-or-nothing errors). Terminal 3 (starter  voltage source) is hot all the times and shows as expectd 12.5V (the same as battery's positive pole).

What confuses me is the voltages I read on the relay's control circuit pins against the battery's negative pole. One pin shows always 1.556V against the battery's negative pole. The other pin reads during starting either 11.66 V or occasionally it reads 2.00V. 

Test report, produced by Torque, is attached.

Any idea what to look for?

Thanks a lot!

-jiri

VIN :1FMFK18549LA02755
Vehicle Calibration ID:RXFKCBE.H32

Test report:
------------------
MID:$01 TID:$81
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
Max: 3A   Min: 0,55A
Test result value: 1,622A
PASS

Last edited by jirikuthan (10/21/2018 6:53 PM)

#4 10/15/2018 3:28 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

The test results are all for emissions not giving the information I was expecting.

The low voltage on the ground of the relay is coming from the PCM. If the PCM does not see all the information it is looking for it will not allow the ground to go to the starter relay to start the truck.

You can run a jumper wire to the #2 terminal to ground and see if the truck starts.

The theft deterrent could cause this, one quick test would be to have all doors closed and lock the truck with the remote and then unlock it. Do this three times. Sometimes this has had good results in the past. Not sure it will help you but it wouldn't hurt to try and is a quick test. 

Like I mentioned before, a good scan tool can look at the park neutral switch to see if it is actually in park or neutral.

I will send you wire schematics on the PCM and starter circuit. I hope they help.

http://www.realworldautomotive.com/forums/uploads/thumbs/174_147853117.jpg

I have noticed that this problem you are having has been going on for three years, I reviewed your previous posts from 2015. I think it is time you bring the truck to a Ford dealer and they can use the factory scan tool to go over your vehicle to see what exactly is going on. This seems to be a very complicated issue that needs a professional that is familiar with the vehicle and also the problem.

realworldautomotive.com

#5 10/21/2018 7:01 PM

jirikuthan

Hello -- thank you for your message and excuse my delay. Unfortunately this sort of error happens only occasionally which makes it hard to troubleshoot and the car is in Europe . I updated my scanner to "ForScan" that does reveal many more details. However the data I was looking at is not particularly helpful:
- TR (transmission range) shows always proper values, I start with the switch in Park position
- START_RLY shows similarly proper values
- WR_LMP (wrench telltale) is off during failed start. When I bridge the relay and start the motor manually, the lap goes ON.

Locking/unlocking didn't help.

Any idea?

#6 10/22/2018 1:11 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Check your ignition switch for proper operation. Check also ground wires from the battery to the starter and engine block. I will send you a schematic of the ignition switch.

http://www.realworldautomotive.com/forums/uploads/thumbs/174_147858261.jpg

Image is from Alldata Automotive information website.

realworldautomotive.com

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.