Chevrolet Silverado 1500 / 2500 / 3500:

A/C clutch not activating

You are not logged in.

#1 9/27/2017 6:12 PM

Mkmaster1

A/C clutch not activating

1994 Chevy Silverado K1500 Ext Cab 5.7L Auto

Recently purchased this truck and working on restoring it the best I can. Just finished fixing the tranny that wouldn't pass 2nd gear (big relief I didn't have to replace it), Now I am working on the A/C which is the reason for this post. The compressor clutch is not engaging.

Here's how I got it.

Interior - Blower works and blows ambient to hot air as engine warms up, A/C control panel is stuck on hot temperature and cannot be changed, all other controls work properly, actuator doors working from low to hi to def properly, the ONLY? fuse I can find for the A/C is good,

Under the hood - Low pressure/cycle switch was missing, everything else looks in order.

I have put on a new LP switch and connected the original plug to it. Was hopeful that would be all it needed but of course its never that easy. So nothing has changed.

Being overwhelmed with new possibilities now I'm hoping someone can shed some light on where I begin. Replace controller so that I can change the temp? Check and refill refrigerant if needed? Am I missing a fuse or relay? Where should I start?

Thank you in advance,

Michael

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 / 2500 / 3500 Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 9/27/2017 11:46 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: A/C clutch not activating

You should start by checking the pressures on the A/C system. The compressor will not engage if the pressure is under 28 PSI. As of the control, try disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes sometimes electronics lock up.If this is the problem you should be able to adjust the temperature. If that does not work then you would probably need a new control.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 / 2500 / 3500 Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

#3 9/28/2017 1:34 PM

Mkmaster1

Re: A/C clutch not activating

Thanks for the insight. I'll give it a try.

Michael

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.