Ford Ranger:

2004 i4 Intermediate misfire

You are not logged in.

#1 5/25/2017 6:22 PM

Rycerz

2004 i4 Intermediate misfire

So I'm going to try and keep this short for now ask any questions as needed. I have a 2004 Duratec Ranger the original motor had a wrist pin go out on it so I bought a donor truck, a 2002 Duratec and put the motor from that one into my truck. Ever since the swap there has been something off about this setup. I used all 02 sensors on the long block but everything else was left 2004. The motor has bad oil control rings. The setup misfires under load. The miss doesn't cause a lot of vibrations from the motor. It's constantly low on power but about 4 times since I have done the swap I have had full power. I had an aftermarket muffler on for a bit of time and the last time it had full power I noticed it had a lot more of the normal Duratec sound (sounded like a rice burner instead of deep like it was). I was throwing a code for low coolant temperature so I replaced the t-stat and when it continued I looked at the temperature sensors and when I went to pull the cylinder head temperature sensor it snapped off in the head 😫 So I now have a code for the lack of a sensor that's the only code currently.

Last edited by Rycerz (5/25/2017 6:28 PM)

Ford Ranger Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 5/25/2017 7:38 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: 2004 i4 Intermediate misfire

An engine miss under a load is usually related to a spark plug not being able to handle the load at certain RPM's. Also check your ignition system making sure there is no arcing anyplace when the engine is under a load. A simple way to check this out is have someone power brake the truck and observe the engine in the dark looking for any arcing.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#3 5/28/2017 3:53 PM

Rycerz

Re: 2004 i4 Intermediate misfire

Ok thank you I will try that either tonight or tomorrow night and reply with the results

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.