Dodge Ram 1500 / 2500 / 3500:

Vibration at 110 kms per hour

You are not logged in.

#1 4/21/2017 5:19 AM

dodgeowner

Vibration at 110 kms per hour

Had some bad luck . Driving down the hwy might have hit a rock not sure. But all of a sudden a vibration and then a big bang pulled over coasted to a stop shut engine off. Looked under truck. Not much of my transfer case left and front drive shaft was back on hwy about 100 yards with a t - case gear still attached. Towed it to my mechanic and we replaced the t-case with a used case from a 2004 dodge Dakota which had 220K on it. We also replaced tranny cooler lines and shifter cable and used 4wd selector motor. Also installed a brand new front drive shaft. Seems to drive fine but when I get to about 110 KMS per hr a bad vibration. Not there before the blow up but almost feels like the vibration I had just a split second  before the blow up. I thought it was the front drive shaft universal that let go and caused the t- case to self destruct. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dodge Ram 1500 / 2500 / 3500 Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 4/21/2017 7:08 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Vibration at 110 kms per hour

Sometimes a vibration can be reduced by taking the drive shaft and remove it from the yoke and rotate it 180 degrees.

If it is still vibrating check the rear drive shaft U joints for stiffness and check the shaft to see if it may have a slight bend in it.

The last thing to check would be drive shaft to see if it is out of balance.

Check front end and rear differential for loose parts. This could change the angle of the drive shaft at certain speeds causing a vibration.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#3 4/21/2017 9:51 AM

dodgeowner

thank you I will try that and report what happened

#4 4/26/2017 3:49 PM

dodgeowner

Turns out I had a bad universal at the rear end changed it out vibration gone. When my t-case blew up maybe it tweaked the universal. Still one problem with the 4 wheel drive motor. Had to get a used selector motor because my old one was destroyed. So the replacement used one would have fit my old t-case. The motor is attached to a plate with a rectangular hole with the 2 ends circular imagine a circle with two flat sides. That is supposed to fit over the shaft protruding out of the transfer case. The problem I have is the shaft sticking out of my replacement t- case is circular and spline. Is there an adapter that can go over the spline shaft and change it to the rectangular shape. Any help would be appreciated.

#5 4/28/2017 9:46 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

There are none that I know of. Try going to the dealer parts department to see for the correct fitting information or go to the salvage yard and get the correct one.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.