Ford:

EGR Valve open and engine malfunction symbol in dash board

You are not logged in.

#1 7/2/2016 3:12 AM

louis jacob

EGR Valve open and engine malfunction symbol in dash board

From last couple of weeks my Ford S max 2012 1.6L (Duratorq-TDCi) car battery went flat and I jump started it more than 10 times. Halfords checked the battery and they said battery is ok. When engine off, I have noticed that there is a click sound from relay in the fuse box followed by light beep sound from throttle body and beep and click sound from EGR valve. After 1.5 min these sounds stop followed by a click sound from relay. After 30 seconds again click sound from relay followed by 1.5 minute beep sound from throttle body and EGR valve. It will repeat up to 30 minutes and come back again upon doors open. I have changed the relay but the problems remains the same. Also I have noticed that there is fuel smell in the exhaust.

From last Saturday there is an engine malfunction symbol displayed and I gave the car to Taylor auto electrician. They said there is no electrical drains and it is due to battery fault. They replaced the battery and charged me £209. I started the engine and noticed that engine yellow symbol went off from the dash board, but it came back with a computer malfunction message when I drove 30 yards and the engine starts to run in limp mode. So I went back to Taylor, they said I have to make another appointment for engine check and I understood that they will charge me more. So I did not take any appointment with them.

I have removed the electrical connection from the EGR valve and found the engine got full power back without any computer malfunction message, but engine yellow symbol in the dash board remains displayed. I have contacted a local mechanic and he found that EGR valve is in open position when he connected it to his computer. He advised me to replace EGR valve. I brought new valve online and replaced it by myself, but again same malfunction message came back with engine runs in limp mode.

Now I am totally confused. I can see a sensor on the engine body that is located just above the inlet way of the EGR valve and I think this may be the faulty sensor causing this problem.

It will be great if anybody will advise me based on your knowledge and experience...

Thank in advance...

Regards, Louis

Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 7/2/2016 10:31 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: EGR Valve open and engine malfunction symbol in dash board

It sounds like you have a problem with the electrical system and you would need to have a professional certified mechanic at a Ford dealer or equivalent to use a factory scan tool to scan your car to see which sensor is setting a trouble code.

It sounds like the cars computer is not powering down and is keeping sensors applied in the on position killing your battery. A good mechanic with a factory scan tool will be able go pin point the problem area and do the necessary repairs.

This is a better option to diagnosis your car because replacing parts without proper diagnostics can be very costly and you still would have the same problem if the repair didn't work.   

I am sorry I can't help you further, this is an American automotive website and we don't have the European data for your car.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#3 7/13/2016 2:46 PM

louis jacob

Thanks for your advise, today I have drop the car in a ford dealer and they told me that this problem is due to dpf filter blocked and I have to replace it and it will cost around £1500. But still I have doubt regarding their diagnosis because I think if it is the dpf block then engine will run always in limp mode, but in my case I am getting full power back when I am removing the EGR valve electrical connection. Can  anybody tell me about any relation between EGR electrical connection and dpf filter? Thanks in advance for your advise and save me from the dealer cheating...

#4 7/14/2016 8:22 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

The only advice I can give you is to show the Ford dealer what you do to get full power back to your vehicle and get there opinion again. They should scan the vehicle and should have trouble codes to help them with the diagnosis.

The DPF filter (diesel particulate filter) sometimes needs to be serviced by either cleaning or replacement. Check with other mechanics and see if there is a filter cleaning service for the filter. I have read from Truck Trend magazine that there are adapters for the DPF filter that can be put on that can make the filter removable for service rather than be replaced and there is a machine that will clean the filter so it can be reinstalled into the vehicle. This is the link to the article I read, http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine…r-diesel/.

Again I am sorry I can't help you much because of the lack of data we have on European cars and trucks.

Try another dealer if you can and show them how you disconnect the EGR valve and get power back. They can use the factory scan tool to see if there is an EGR code stored in the computer then erase the code and check the function of the EGR valve to see if it is indeed malfunctioning.

They also may suggest the same service for the DPF filter because it needs to be serviced from time to time. Good luck.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.