Ford Contour:

Engine turns over but will not start | Page 2

You are not logged in.

#11 6/22/2017 5:49 PM

Administrator
Administrator

Re: Engine turns over but will not start

No spark and no tach signal certainly points to the crank sensor. But there are a whole bunch of other faults that can cause the same thing. The PCM, or a number of bad connections or open circuits, to start.

Sounds like you may have swapped the engine harness with the sensors from the parts car? Gotta be carefull. Just because it's the same make/model/year does not mean the harness is the same. All it takes is one terminal to be off one spot in a connector.

See if there's a tag on the harnesses to compare part numbers.

After that you may want to hire a tech to diagnose the problem before going any further.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else
Ford Contour Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#12 6/27/2017 8:34 AM

patchadams3469

I know now it is the harnesses that are bad. Does anyone know where i can find a good harness at?

#13 7/1/2017 8:34 AM

patchadams3469

Latest on the 1995 contour: I got fire coming to the front 3 wires now, fuel pump comes on like it should when first turning key on (powers on for 2 or 3 seconds and then goes off). Can't test the back 3 wires unless I take the intake off. But it still won't start. I can spray a little stating fluid and it will run for a few seconds and then quit again. I don't know how to test injectors. I do know if there is power to the injectors though. How do you test the injectors?
I can feel gas going through the supply lines and going out in to the return line.

Could it be the timing chain?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#14 7/1/2017 10:14 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

If the engine runs on starting fluid then the timing chain or belt should be good and you have spark. The problem is in the fuel delivery.

You can buy a cheap tool called a noid light, it is used to put into the plug of the injector. If you are getting the noid light to flash when you are cranking the engine then you are getting the signal from the PCM and you would then have to find out why you don't have fuel pressure.

You just can't say you feel the fuel going through the pressure and return hoses, you need a pressure reading and fuel amount (volume) test to help in the diagnosis. Fuel pressure should be 37 to 41 PSI and should maintain that pressure when the vehicle is turned off. If you don't have this it needs to be diagnosed.

If you have good fuel pressure then you need to diagnosis the fuel injector signal pulse with the noid light and other test equipment like a scan tool to find out why you don't have a signal to operate (pulse) the fuel injectors.

realworldautomotive.com

#15 7/1/2017 11:54 AM

patchadams3469

Noid light? Is that the same as a test light? What plug do you mean? The one on the harness? If so when I turn the key on (not cranking) it does light up on the injector harness plug in. I never tried cranking it while using the test light. Sorry for bugging you with this but I don't have the money to take it to a dealer and have to do all the testing I can on my own.

#16 7/1/2017 11:56 AM

patchadams3469

OH and when I push in the valve gas does come out but I don't know what the pressure is.

#17 7/2/2017 3:58 PM

patchadams3469

TechHelp2

I got a noid light and it is not pulsing on any of the injectors I tested. Is the wiring harness or the PCM? When I use a test light I show power of one wire only on each injector. What am I getting wrong? Got power with a test light but not with the noid light.

Last edited by patchadams3469 (7/2/2017 4:28 PM)

#18 7/3/2017 9:28 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

You should have power to the injectors but if the noid light is not pulsing the the ground from the PCM is not working. When the PCM gets all of the inputs correctly then it will pulse the injectors though the PCM ground wire when cranking. With the noid light is placed in place of the injector try to crank the engine, if the noid light is flashing while cranking then you have a good signal. If no flashing on the noid while cranking then you may have a faulty PCM or wiring.

realworldautomotive.com

#19 7/3/2017 10:09 AM

patchadams3469

TechHelp2

The noid light doesnt flash when cranking. A friend and I checked it and found the ground on the PCM so we are taking the harness out and going over all the wiring and going to spray it with some flex seal to make sure all wires are coated good. These cars are notorious for bad or faulty wiring, I had went over the most of it with electrical tape but i guess it wasnt good enough. THANK YOU for all your help and advice. I really appreciate it!!

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.