Chevrolet S-10 Pickup:

2003 S10 rebuild

You are not logged in.

Welcome!
GUARANTEED Response to Your Question from an ASE Certified Master Technician. FREE, just Register and Post...

#1 11/17/2012 8:44 AM

Warren

2003 S10 rebuild

My son has a 03 2.2L s-10 that overheated, cracked the head and the radiator. We have rebuilt the engine including new head, radiator, starter, battery, but now the engine only cranks and runs a few seconds then shuts off as if it ran out of fuel. Also the radio is no longer working and the temp gauge is not working. Seems there is a electrical problem, but where do you start? Checked chassie grds, and also notice the odometer, park drive neutral eletronic readouts are not working. Also replace the ecm/pcm with a used one from the salvage yard. And one more thing there is a click click click sound coming over the speakers?

HELP!

Chevrolet S-10 Pickup Recalls, TSBs and More >> Get it Now!

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com
Car and Truck Service Information
ALLDATAdiy

#2 11/18/2012 9:37 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: 2003 S10 rebuild

Getting the PCM from the junk yard is the first mistake!

When you replace the PCM it needs to be reprogrammed with the original information that the truck had as per the VIN number of the vehicle. When the PCM is not reprogrammed and the VIN numbers from the truck and the PCM don't match electrical problems can occur like the radio not working and dash light not working and multiple trouble codes being set. The engine can not run properly if it is being commanded by a PCM that is programmed for another vehicle.

Have the PCM reprogrammed to the vehicle and then continue troubleshooting if needed with a factory approved scanner to help diagnosis trouble codes that may be set.

Get back to me with your results and we can go on form there.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#3 11/18/2012 12:04 PM

Warren

Thanks,

I am assuming I can have it reprogrammed at a local dealership?
So I will call around monday to see who can do it, then go from there.

#4 11/24/2012 6:56 AM

Warren

Ok, I called about a local dealership flashing and programing the ECM/PCM and they wanted $90 and for me to tow the vehicle to them. So I went on line and found spareECM out of Fredericksburg OH and they were able to send be a reconditioned that was flashed and programed to my VIN. They sent installation instructions along with the GM pass lock procedure that is normally used for most GM apps. But when I turn the key to the on postion for 10 min. the anti-theft light never goes out. Tried the three ten minute on 5 sec off but the light has never went out. also tried to start and it is still doing the same thing.

#5 11/24/2012 10:55 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

You should try the 30 minute procedure again.

If you know anyone with a scanner to erase any trouble codes that will be very helpful.

This is a very sensitive procedure and must be followed exactly to the second. Then when the check ecgine light comes on again you will know the area the problem and will be easier to fix.

I listed the procedure below; it is form the Alldata automotive information website.

Let us know how you make out.

PROGRAMMING THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM COMPONENTS

IMPORTANT:

The body control module (BCM) must be programmed with the proper RPO configurations before performing learn procedures. See Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration.

If replacing the BCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, the module will learn passlock sensor data code immediately. The existing PCM however, must learn the new fuel continue password when the BCM is replaced.

If replacing a PCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, after programming, these modules will learn the incoming fuel continue password immediately upon receipt of a password message. Once a password message is received, and a password is learned, a learn procedure must be performed to change this password again.

A PCM which has been previously installed in another vehicle will have learned the other vehicle's fuel continue password and will require a learn procedure after programming to learn the current vehicle's password.

CONDITIONS :
Use this procedure after replacing:

Passlock Sensor
BCM
PCM
LEARN PROCEDURES
There are two available methods to perform the programming procedure:

A 10 minutes procedure which requires a Tech 2 and a techline terminal.
A 30 minutes procedure which does not require the use of any tools.

10 Minute Learn Procedure

TOOLS REQUIRED : Tech 2

Techline terminal with current (SPS) Service Programming System software
Connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle.
Select "Request Information" under "Service Programming".
Disconnect the Tech 2 from the vehicle and connect it to a techline terminal.
On the techline terminal, select "Theft Module Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
Disconnect the Tech 2 from the techline terminal and connect it to the vehicle.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Select "VTD Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF, the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
Start the engine, the vehicle has now learned the password.
With the Tech 2 scan tool, clear any DTCs.

30 Minute Learn Procedure :

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes , the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
6. Start the engine, the vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.

IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed, history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles

realworldautomotive.com

#6 11/24/2012 11:11 AM

Warren

Thanks once again for this information.

I went to Costco and bought a CanOBD2 3100 scan tool

erased all dtc's (none currently stored) tried the learn procedure as you have mentioned but the light never goes out, even up to 20 minutes.

The scanner gives me now a

U1000
1. class 2 Data link Malfunction 2. Lost communications with the ECM 3.Class 2 Data Link Malfunction

P1626
Theft Deterrent Fuel Enable Signal Lost

P1632
Theft Deterrent Fuel Enable Signal Lost

#7 11/25/2012 7:48 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

P1626 is The powertrain control module (PCM) has not established communications with the body control module (BCM) and has not received a valid password before the fuel disable decision point was reached.

P1632 is Received a fuel disabled password from the BCM.
Or an undecided password was sent from the BCM.

There are many modules in the truck and any one of them can set a code U1000 for no power or poor grounds.

It is very important to have good body grounds from the engine to the body and have power to all modules.

Make sure you installed all of the engine and transmission body grounds.

Check all fuses; you could have blown a fuse to a module causing these codes to set.

This is a very complicated diagnostic procedure and your scanner should be able to read the codes to all of the modules. A regular code reader may not be good enough for this complicated diagnostic procedure. If you can read the codes to the other modules then erase all of the codes so there is no confusion in what is setting the hard codes you have now.

Clearing codes from the other modules is part of the replacement and reprogramming procedure for the replaced module. The repair is not complete unless all codes have been cleared from all modules.

The first step is to check the fuses and grounds. We can go on from there.

I have one question, why did you replace the PCM and do you have the old one to see if you plug it in and the engine starts?

realworldautomotive.com

#8 11/25/2012 12:42 PM

Warren

"I have one question, why did you replace the PCM and do you have the old one to see if you plug it in and the engine starts?"
When it would not start and run i pulled the PCM because I had been using a charger with the 200 amp start setting. When I pulled the PCM I opened it and saw burnt resistors. That 's was my reason for replacing it.

I talked with a gentlemen from O'Rielly's yesterday, I pulled the BCM to see if it was fried and I saw a bubble on top of a chip that looked as if it could be fried, but the man at O'Rielly's said it probably wasn't that and that I needed to get the learn process right and everything should work. He told me that it takes longer then 10 mins for the light to go out and that I could leave it on all night if i need. Just to hook the charger to it on a 12 maintain. So I did and left it on all night approximatley 10 hrs, and the light still is not off.

I think your thought process about the ground is in the right direction, I have checked the grds to make sure they are tight before, but I need to make sure there is not any that are not connected again.

something puzzleing me is that the speakers have a clicking noise coming through them once the key is turned to the on position, and that the Temp gauge is pegged and not working. I am thinking there is a short to grnd somewhere or a blown inline fuse.

Fun, Fun, Fun!

#9 11/26/2012 6:16 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

There are many modules in the truck, if you fried the PCM then there is a good possibility you fried others.

The 200 AMP setting should never be used on modern computer cars.

The problem you seem to have is a communication problem between other modules including the security module. I know money is tight but in the long run you could spend a lot more money on the problem if you continue to throw in expensive electronic parts into the truck without the proper diagnostic procedure.

Take the truck to a GM dealer and have them diagnosis the problem.  They have a factory scanner that is bi-directional that can communicate with all of the modules and they can determine where the communication problem is. The problem with the reprogramming of the modules can be properly be done by the professionals at the GM dealer.

You should take pride in the fact that you rebuilt the engine but the modern electronics is something that can not be done by the old shade tree mechanic.

The mechanics at the dealership do the reprogramming all the time and they should be able to find the problem quicker.

Let us know what path you decide to choose, if you still choose to keep going we will try to help you the best way we can.

realworldautomotive.com

#10 11/29/2012 4:58 PM

Warren

Ok I am about ready to drag this thing into the chevy dealer but first I wanted to update you on a couple things.

The security light I was looking at was the red led on the radio, it was flashing and then solid with the key on. I realize now Security is suppose to illuminate on the cluster when the key is in the on position. With that said....the only thing illuminated on the cluster with the key in the on position is the check engine lite which goes out after it cranks over.The backlights do come on when the parking lights or running lights are turned on. The temp gauge is not moving at all but all other gauges seem to work. Also the interior lights do not work. all fuses and grnds have been checked. So I am assuming one of the modules possibly the BCM is not functioning properly. I was really hoping I could figure this out but i think I have ran out of possible solutions besides dynamite.

Thanks for all your help,

Warren

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com