Dodge Ram 1500 / 2500 / 3500:

charging system

You are not logged in.

Welcome!
GUARANTEED Response to Your Question from an ASE Certified Master Technician. FREE, just Register and Post...

#1 1/24/2012 6:47 PM

george

charging system

I have a 95 Dodge ram 2500 van with a v6 mag. a few weeks ago i had a starting problem ( battery acted weak ) then it stopped. A few days later the check engin light came on and i noticed the amp gauge showed the alternator was not charging. I took it down to the parts store and it bench tested perfect. Put it back in the van it worked every time i crunk it up. The part store said it could be the battery  ( tester showed bat had a bad cell )  so i got a 1000 ca bat and again the tester showed a good bat and alt. Got back home and it showed the alt not charging again. Some times I crank it and it takes a few seconds to start charging, sometimes when i hit the gas, sometimes not at all.  Checked all the grounds, they are tight and look good. what elese can i do? Should I chang the alt? Please help, This is my work van and I depend on it. Thank you guys for your time.

Dodge Ram 1500 / 2500 / 3500 Recalls, TSBs and More >> Get it Now!

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com
Car and Truck Service Information
ALLDATAdiy

#2 1/24/2012 10:11 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: charging system

If you had the alternator off the engine and it started to charge again after it was put back on and then stopped charging then you should be looking at a possible corroded wire or broken wire on the alternator. It could even a poor connection inside the alternator.

Clean up the battery cable at the alternator to the battery and also the ground wires going to the body.

Then check to see if there are any trouble codes stored in the computer memory. There may be a code that is stored for the charging system. If you don't have a scanner then you can take the van to your local Auto Zone auto parts store and they should do it for free. Check to make sure they still do that.

The connections can look good but may need to be cleaned with a wire brush or even a file to clean the wire end and the area it bolts to.

There is also an ASD relay in the circuit (automatic shutdown) When the PCM grounds the ASD relay, contacts inside the relay close and connect circuit A14 from fuse 1 in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) to circuit A142. Circuit A142 splices to the generator field terminal. It could be just a bad ASD Relay that make an intermittent connection.

The PCM has an internal voltage regulator that controls generator output. Circuit K2O connects to cavity 20 of the PCM. The PCM controls the generator field on circuit K2O.

The PCM controls the charging and it may have a loose or corroded connector from the PCM to the alternator. Wiggling the wire harnesses can help detect poor connections.

When the PCM grounds the ASD relay, contacts inside the relay close and connect circuit A14 from fuse 1 in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) to circuit A142. Circuit A142 splices to the generator field terminal. You could have a poor connection at this splice.

The PCM has an internal voltage regulator that controls generator output. Circuit K2O connects to cavity 20 of the PCM. The PCM controls the generator field on circuit K2O.

This is an explanation of the operation from the Alldata information website and a few suggestions to look for. Try them and keep us updated on the progress of the problem.

You have and intermittent problem on a complicated system and may need an automotive professional to look at it because it could be hard to find.

If your business depends on the van you may want to have an automotive professional to look at it to save you time and money.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#3 2/1/2012 5:04 PM

george

Re: charging system

Thank you for your help. I opened up the alt and found a trench in the armature shaft at the top brush, 1/16 deep at least. The brush had no spring push left to reach out and get a good contact. With that said, I now have a new alt. Thanks again for your help.

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com