Ford Expedition:

won't start, plenty of battery power

You are not logged in.

#1 1/14/2012 12:09 PM

flyfish

won't start, plenty of battery power

2000 Expedition  5.4 motor,  Sometimes won't start with ;lots of battery power.  Tried starting in park and neutral.  Sometimes after 5 or 6 minute wait,   and moving gear shift a few times will start in neutral,  and sometimes park.  Having foot on brake  seems to help?  Cleaned battery posts and terminals well.

Last edited by flyfish (1/14/2012 12:30 PM)

Ford Expedition Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 1/14/2012 4:15 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: won't start, plenty of battery power

Don't quite understand your problem.

Does the engine crank over and not start, or are you turning the key and nothing happens for a few minutes and then it will crank the engine over and start.

Please be more specific with your explanation, the more specific information you give me the better results I can give you.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#3 1/15/2012 5:52 AM

flyfish

Turn the key and nothing happens,  radio and other accessories work but does not crank. I have been able to start it after 5 or 6 minute wait.  Sometimes in park, sometimes in neutral.  Stepping on brake seems to help.  dealership wants $250.00 to diagnose it.  Laid off right now,  hoping it is something simple.

#4 1/15/2012 12:11 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Get another person to help you. Have someone turn the key and have the other person check to see if you have current going to the starter, not the battery cable the other smaller wire I'm not sure of the color but it should be the smaller wire. If you have current to the wire then you probably have a starter issue or starter.

If you don't have current to the smaller wire then it could be a security issue or starter electrical problem within the car it self. The security system may be having a problem reading the key code. Try to use another key if you have one to see if the problem improves. If the problem still stays the same then you have no choice but to bring it in to be diagnosed.

Try these suggestions out and let me know if they were any help.

realworldautomotive.com

#5 1/16/2012 5:14 AM

flyfish

Thank you very much, will give these suggestions a try.

#6 1/20/2012 12:27 PM

flyfish

Checked starter wire, all is good.  Tried different key, haven't had problem since.  Thank you very much, will keep you informed if problem reoccurs.

#7 1/25/2012 9:31 AM

flyfish

Problem started again took it in,  neutral safety switch pretty worn,  solenoid bad connection.  repaired.  thanks again for help.

#8 6/12/2017 7:43 PM

cierrasmith20

I have a 2006 Ford Expedition. I just bought a new starter for it a few weeks ago cause it broke down and didn't want to start, Its not the battery cause it still has 12 volts, so just recently last week it didn't want to start again and hasn't started since, does anyone know the problem and how to fix it? I don't understand its a new starter and no battery problems. Thank you.

#9 6/13/2017 6:36 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Have someone turn the key to start while you check at the starter to see if you have voltage at the yellow/light blue wire. If you don’t have voltage at the wire check your starter relay. If you have voltage at the Yellow/light blue wire then you may have a bad starter. Also check your wiring at the starter there is a service bulletin on repairing the wire harness connections.

Check fuses F1-101 (30amp) and F1-102 (30amp) to the ignition switch. Check the starter relay in the central junction box, I will send a picture.

It still could be the ignition switch and or the neutral safety switch if all the above checks out to be good.

http://www.realworldautomotive.com/forums/uploads/thumbs/174_121795957.gif

http://www.realworldautomotive.com/forums/uploads/thumbs/174_121860012.gif

Get back to us with your results, we can diagnosis the problem further if needed

realworldautomotive.com

#10 8/16/2017 10:38 PM

whatsthedyl

I have a 2001 Ford Expedition 5.4 just got from someone else. Battery was all rigged up so I got a solid strong battery and set up with connections. Still nothing. Need my car for work, where do I start doing checks? Please help. Should I get a copy of the key made and try that? Power checks and am I looking for low or high voltage...

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.