Acura Integra:

Manual Transmission pops out of 5th gear to neutral

You are not logged in.

#1 10/3/2011 4:10 PM

haxto

Manual Transmission pops out of 5th gear to neutral

My '99 Acura Integra w/ 5 speed manual trans suddenly started popping out of 5th gear into neutral. What would cause that? I think I have a broken motor mount but its been like that for a long time without the 5th gear jumping out. I can put it back in gear but it'll jump back to neutral, sometimes within in 5 seconds, sometimes in 5 minutes. Need answers.Thanks

Acura Integra Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 10/3/2011 7:58 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Manual Transmission pops out of 5th gear to neutral

If you know the mount is bad then you should change it to avoid any guess work.

If the mount replacement doesn't work it could be an internal transmission problem. It could be a bent or cracked shift fork, synchronizer or shift sleeve, ring or hub issues.

Checking the gear oil for any metallic particles would be a tell tail sign that there may be internal trouble.

Your local transmission shop or professional mechanic can give you a definite diagnosis.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#3 10/3/2011 8:53 PM

haxto

Yea, I agree, Thanx. Guess I should have framed my question as "have you known my problem to be. caused by a bad motor mount"

#4 12/31/2011 7:40 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

The possible cause of the transmission popping out of fifth gear could be the synchronizer, hub or ring for 4th and 5th gear, a bent shift fork or bad detent.

Having an automotive professional test drive the car can help confirm the cause of this problem.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#5 12/31/2011 9:19 PM

haxto

I had my '99 Acura Integra's transmission repaired for the problem of it slipping out of 5th gear into neutral. The stated problem by the shop was a synchronizer. I also replaced a motor mount, slave cylinder, linkage bushing on the shifter and was charged an unpleasant surprise fee of $1,600! They attempted to charge me $3,300! I told them to box up my disassembled tranny and prepare my car to be towed out their shop and I'd pay the agreed upon $385 for pulling and diagnosing. They were ready to negotiate price then and called back with an offer of $2,100 for all needed repairs, parts and labor. I told them to "box it up", again. This time they asked "what I'd be willing to pay". I had expected to pay around $1,000 but with the figures being more than 3 times higher I stated $1,600 and not a cent more as my limit, I don't want to come in there and hear that I'm being charged even $1,601 with "this and that added", add your tax and everything else and if it comes in at or below 1600 its a deal".
  Picked it up with a bill of exactly $1,600 and am glad to still be in my little hot-rod but pissed that they obviously made a profit at $1600 yet they tried to add an additional $1700 of profit!

#6 9/7/2018 3:16 AM

mimple

In case I will follow your idea, can I have the same result with your car

Be Responsible Driver By Caring others Subaru Service Center

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.