Ford Contour:

Cranks but won't start

You are not logged in.

#1 9/19/2011 1:06 AM

bigyellowtruck

Cranks but won't start

My 1996 Ford Contour 2.0 dohc manual transmission will crank but will not start. It has spark, compression, and fuel. I have checked the timing. What next?

Ford Contour Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 9/19/2011 3:25 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Cranks but won't start

Something doesn't sound right. How can you check the timing of an engine if the engine doesn't start?

Did you have someone put a scanner on the car to see if there are any trouble codes stored in the memory of the computer? If codes are stored then repair them first before you go any further.

I need more detailed information. I need to know how much fuel pressure you have and the amount of fuel the pump pumps out in 30 seconds; this will check the proper operation of the fuel pump.

If you have done a compression test what is the compression of each cylinder? The reason I'm asking is the engine can crank and have fuel, spark and low compression due to a timing belt that slipped a tooth or two in the belt.

Check the spark plugs to see if they are fuel soaked. If they are then change the plugs.

The only thing I can think of that can give you spark, fuel and compression is you may have a clogged exhaust system or catalytic converter. You would need to take a back pressure test on the exhaust system to see if it is clogged.

One easy way to check this is to remove the Oxygen Sensor and try to start the engine. Removing the sensor will release the pressure of the exhaust pressure, if this is the problem the engine may start.

You may need to change your catalytic converter.

Get back to me with this important information so I can help you further.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else
Ford Contour Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.