Ford Ranger:

lost oil Pressure

You are not logged in.

Welcome!
GUARANTEED Response to Your Question from an ASE Certified Master Technician. FREE, just Register and Post...

#1 11/22/2009 3:25 PM

10tsv10

lost oil Pressure

How do i replace my oil pump on my 1999 4 L ranger 2wd, i was driving home last night and engine started knocking and oil pressure went to almost 0, i drove it slowly home about 4 miles, now it runs very ruff when i start it and oil pressure gauge barely passes 0 ,oil level is in specs, . filter is new, do i have to pull the engine to get at the pump?? Thanks   Tommy

Ford Ranger Recalls, TSBs and More >> Get it Now!

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com
Car and Truck Service Information
ALLDATAdiy

#2 11/22/2009 7:29 PM

way2old

Re: lost oil Pressure

You just need to remove the oil pan to gain access to the oil pump.  It can be done with the engine in frame.

Being way2old is why I need help from younger minds.
People are like slinkys, not much use but I still smile when I see one stumble down the stairs.

#3 11/23/2009 9:00 AM

Administrator
Administrator

Like way2old said, you can access the oil pump by removing the motor mount bolts, jacking up the engine, and sneaking out the oil pan.

But keep in mind that the oil pump is not the only possible cause to a loss of oil pressure. Bad bearings (camshaft, crankshaft main or rod) can do the same thing because the excessive oil clearance can no longer hold back the flow from the pump.

The fact that you lost pressure all f the sudden, along with gaining a knock and a misfire, makes me suspicious that something may have let go in the engine -- other than the pump. And having a little pressure confirms the drive to the pump is still intact.

Might want to try this first:

Drain out some oil, or pull the filter, and pour it through a stocking (or something similar) to strain out debris. If you see significant metallic particles, you probably have a major internal failure -- either caused by a bad pump, or the original cause of the pressure loss.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#4 11/29/2009 5:35 PM

10tsv10

way2old wrote:

You just need to remove the oil pan to gain access to the oil pump.  It can be done with the engine in frame.

i finally got a chance to start on my ranger today and i am having a time trying to remove the oil pan,
i have jacked up the front of the motor about 4 inches and  removed the motor mount bolts. but i don't have enough room between the crossmember and the front of the trany to slide the pan down and out.. do i need to remove the trany to get the pan out ???i have a push rod 4.ol i think it is an OHV, I'm not sure.  any suggestions?  thanks  tommy

#5 11/29/2009 10:19 PM

Administrator
Administrator

According to the service manual it does come out the bottom:

Remove motor mount nuts >> raise engine >> remove starter >> remove oil pan

Either the engine has not been lifted all the way up, or the starter and/or misc. transmission  hardware has not been removed. Shouldn't apply here, but in some cases you need to unbolt the oil pump pickup tube while the pan is hanging, before you can slip it all the way out.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com