Ford Ranger:

oil pressure

You are not logged in.

#1 10/27/2009 2:47 AM

gatorguy3

oil pressure

What would cause the oil pressure in my 01 ranger to just all of a sudden drop to nothing? There is no oil leak that i can see.

Ford Ranger Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 10/27/2009 3:35 AM

Administrator
Administrator

Re: oil pressure

Do you mean the oil pressure gauge dropped to nothing and the engine is running fine?

Or, the oil pressure gauge dropped to nothing and the engine is knocking, and sounds like it's about to explode?

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#3 10/27/2009 9:55 PM

gatorguy3

the engine will not stay cranked and it never sounded like is was gonna explode. the engine did shake but real light.

#4 10/28/2009 2:59 AM

Administrator
Administrator

gatorguy3 wrote:

the engine will not stay cranked and it never sounded like is was gonna explode. the engine did shake but real light.

Sorry, but I'm having trouble understanding your description of the problem.

What do you mean by "engine will not stay cranked"? Does that mean it will not start, or it does not run?

Does "did shake but real light" mean it is running, but poorly?

How do you know there is no oil pressure? Did the oil pressure gauge go down to "0", or did the warning light come on? Or something else?

Please try to be clear with your description so I can help.

realworldautomotive.com

#5 10/28/2009 11:42 PM

way2old

Admin has some good points.  But as a what if, what if the Idle Speed Control valve was acting up not allowing the idle speed to be high enough?  That would cause the rough running and oil pressure drop at idle also.  Just my .02.

Being way2old is why I need help from younger minds.
People are like slinkys, not much use but I still smile when I see one stumble down the stairs.

#6 10/29/2009 1:33 AM

Administrator
Administrator

Hey way2old:

How are you?

Yep, low idle/low pressure is a possibility.

To me, gatorguy3's first post sounded like the gauge went to zero, but now I'm not so sure.

realworldautomotive.com

#7 10/30/2009 11:44 PM

way2old

Doing great.   Check the site almost daily.  Like to see more activity on here.  It seems to be laid out fairly well for repairs.  At first I thought same as you.  Thought gauge dropped as it was running.  Hope he shows back up so we can find out.  His statement about the light shaking made me think of a low idle condition.  Might be way off the mark tho.  See ya.

Being way2old is why I need help from younger minds.
People are like slinkys, not much use but I still smile when I see one stumble down the stairs.

#8 2/4/2011 6:12 PM

russ

Hello,

I recently noticed when I start my 2000 Ranger (4.0L ) the oil pressure gage is on L, when the vehicle warms up a bit it pops up the normal position. It is not running rough and no noticeable oil leaks. It has 134K miles. Is this a major concern/repair?

Thanks for your help

russ

#9 2/4/2011 11:14 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

It sounds like you don't have any concerns about the running condition of the engine. So I would have to assume that the engine idle doesn't seem lower than usual when the engine is cold. If the engine idle is at factory specs then you need to check to see if the gauge is working properly; or if the oil pressure sending unit is going bad.

Remove the oil pressure sender from the engine and put in a mechanical oil pressure gauge. If the oil pressure is at factory specs then it will probably be a bad oil pressure sender.

You still can't rule out a bad oil pressure gauge or the gauge wiring. A good automotive professional will have a tool to check the wiring and the gauge itself.

Try having the engine checked out with a scanner first to see if the engine is running at the proper specs when it is cold then go from there. The oil pressure test will be the next procedure on the list.

There are still a few things that can cause this problem, don't worry about them yet, go with these suggestions first and let us know how you make out.

realworldautomotive.com

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.