Buick Century:

light on odometer/gear indicator panel

You are not logged in.

Welcome!
GUARANTEED Response to Your Question from an ASE Certified Master Technician. FREE, just Register and Post...

#1 10/20/2009 9:38 PM

drgrutz

light on odometer/gear indicator panel

The light on the odometer/gear indicator panel for my 2002 Buick Century was working on and off for the last month - now it is just off.  How can I fix this?

Buick Century Recalls, TSBs and More >> Get it Now!

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com
Car and Truck Service Information
ALLDATAdiy

#2 10/20/2009 11:02 PM

Administrator
Administrator

Re: light on odometer/gear indicator panel

Hey drgrutz:

It's probably just a bulb. Especially if only a section of the instrument panel is dark (odometer, PRNDL), and other parts are still illuminated (speedo, fuel, etc).

Remove the instrument cluster and you'll find six light bulb sockets installed on the back side. They unscrew counterclockwise. Check the bulb(s) directly behind the odometer/PRNDL.

If the bulbs are good, it's probably an internal cluster defect. Any connection problems to the instrument panel would turn off all the illumination lights, not just one or two.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#3 10/22/2009 11:12 PM

Administrator
Administrator

Re: light on odometer/gear indicator panel

drgrutz wrote:

The light on the odometer/gear indicator panel for my 2002 Buick Century was working on and off for the last month - now it is just off.  How can I fix this?

Hi drgrutz:

Got your message. Sorry, but the sketch in the service manual didn't show the PRNDL/odometer being a separate display, and I believe it might be different in the Regal.

There are still six bulbs illuminating the rest of the instrument panel from behind. But the PRNDL/odometer is illuminated internally.

The lighting voltage for both comes from the 7.5 amp panel dimming fuse. For the bulbs it comes in at instrument panel connector terminal A7, and for the PRNDL/odometer at A5.

There are not any service bulletins for this particular condition, but a couple in reference to general diagnostics, stressing the fact that poor connections are often the cause of intermittent conditions.

You should remove the instrument cluster and be sure there is 12 volts at terminal A5, and all terminals are tight and clean. Also be sure the cluster is fully seated into the connector.

If everything external is correct, you'll have to replace the cluster, or send it out for repair at a specialty electronics shop (ask a local Buick dealer who they use). It's often an exchange deal where they reset the odometer on the new cluster to that of the original.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com